View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003, 02:29 PM

I think Kelli has pretty much hit the issue straight on.

For some background. I once taught physics 101 at the junior college level. The Dean of Instruction (I think that was his title) told me that if I ever seriously got into it with a student one of the following would apply:

If I was GROSSLY wrong I'd be fired.

If I was partially at fault the student would suffer first, then any tenure for me would be postponed to see if there would be repeat complaints.

If the student was judged wrong, well suspension or ??? depending.

Given what you have said so far, I think you fall into the second category. And if your prof already has tenure, then you're just SOL. Change classes, or work it out like Kelli said.

Let's be realistic here, the school has more invested in the prof than any one freshman - it will take much more than one complaint to do anything. An example: The worst teacher I ever had, anywhere, anytime, was when I was a senior in college. Statistics class. Guy was a total jerk. I wrote to the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences. Keep in mind I was the pres of the national physics honor society - and we had just received a national physics chapter recognition award - and I was on a faculty-paid merit scholarship (grades based) that he had awarded me (picture with him in the school paper and all). Got a very nice "thanks for your concern" letter, and NOTHING else happened - unless it was behind closed doors.

Sorry, don't think it's right, it's just the system.