View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 11:34 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Re: Time for a change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spaceman View Post
Well, it is that time, ladies and gentlemen. I sold my 1994 Subaru SVX, and, picked up a Phantom Black, 2009 Audi S5, with a 4.2L V8, and, a 6 speed manual.

I was sad to see it go, but I have no regrets. The Audi is just...magical to drive.

Initially I bought the SVX because it was the cheapest Subaru I could find. I grew to really like the car. It was comfortable, and, it got a lot of attention, though, not from Subaru owners/enthusiasts.

My issues with the car were as follows:

I bought it to use as a winter daily. I ended up with a stunning, rust free, example. It seemed like an abuse to use such a nice car for such a dismal role. Like wearing an Armani suit while mowing the lawn. I believe it deserves a better life, as someone's weekend toy. A life free from the rigors of a daily commute, and, the accelerated wear-out of hard to find parts.

The second issue is the parts availability. As a daily, it needs to be reliable, and, don't get me wrong, the car is very reliable. It never left me stranded. The issue is, when the time comes that something does break, there is a huge question mark as to whether the part is obtainable, and, how long it will take to get it. This is a huge problem for daily transportation.

Yes the Audi has it's share of issues. Hell, 100kms/10 hours after I bought it, it gave me a CEL. The difference is, I can go to a dealer, or a parts shop and buy the parts needed to fix it. I can take it to a dealer, or a shop, and, they will work on it. These are luxuries I didn't have with the SVX.

Hopefully the new owner (who had an SVX many years ago), will take care of her, and, give her the life she deserves.

Anyways, ....how to close this? Hmm..

Words of wisdom; STAY AWAY FROM AMR! He is a thieving tosser, who will take your money, and, leave you hanging. I said it time and time again!

Congrats and best of luck! That Audi is fairly dependable, compared to other offerings in their line up; the A5/S5s have been pretty stable. The CEL is probably a misfire having to do with a coil pack, all eight of which are fairly easy to access and replace. But, if possible, I'd look into an extended warranty, just to be on the safe side.

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele