View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Another option

(Any coincidental logic and similarity between what is seen in the wiring diagrams and what is actually found under the dash is purely unintentional)

Like Jim, after trying to follow Trevor's detailed explanation getting nowhere, I sent this post to Trevor.

"The HID fog lights are installed and they are amazingly brighter with better coverage all around. I have still not solved the wiring problem.

In a form of backwards-engineering, I wondered if I could find a way to just manually shut OFF the headlights through a separate switch.

I could turn the headlights ON to the Lo position, using the column stalk normally. I could then turn on my fog lights with the fog light button on the dash (having both illuminated as designed)

If I wired a switch to cut power to the headlights, I could then turn them off, still leaving the fog lights on. I think I could still use the high beams for extra illumination if needed. In this way, my fog lights would act as substitute lo beams.

What do you think? Would this be any easier, or are there problems I do not foresee?"

Here was Trevor's reply:

John,

I have again been over the horrible wiring and find that the headlight relays are fed from the ignition switch, via a red wire terminating at the main fuse board. This red wire it would appears connects to the board via single pole connector, F14. Have a look at the wiring diagram and troubleshooting, power supply routing, on page 14.

The idea will be to interrupt/switch this wire/circuit. Only relay current is involved with no voltage drop problems, so that a length of light twin-flex and a small switch will do the job.

If you can locate and separate the plug and find some mating connectors, you will not have to cut about any existing wiring. You can also confirm that all is OK before proceeding by unplugging and plugging the connector so as to simulate a switch,.

This looks like the simplest approach possible and I wish the best with it. Let me know how you get on.

Trevor.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 11-16-2007 at 07:31 AM.