View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Hitchhikin'

Satellite. Check out dish network or directv, I think one of them has the option. Very high ping, though; useless for games, and you can't use VPN, IIRC.

Plus, it's VERY expensive. I think it's in the $100/month range minimum. But I haven't checked it out for almost a year, so times may have changed.

Another option is wireless broadband, if you can get cellphone service. Verizon has the fastest data connection, using EV-DO, with transfer rates in the megabits/sec, but it has high ping as well. That should be $80/month for unlimited use. Cingular also has wireless data, but its EDGE network tops out at 384kbps and still costs $80. I don't know the details of Sprint's data network, but they were aiming for an EV-DV network, which is faster or the same speed as Verizon's network, but I don't know if it's been rolled out yet. I don't know their data price, but I've got a coworker with Sprint's unlimited data plan for free (it's an extremely high calling plan in the $100+/month range, with free unlimited data add-on, but I don't know any more details). You can get cheaper prices with Verizon and Sprint if you know what you're doing (it usually involves not buying unlimited data, and using a different data plan), but I haven't been keeping up-to-date, so I wouldn't know how to advise you to use those tricks.