View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
I also found the code in the TCU that decides whether to use the normal map or the power mode map. I was thinking that it might be possible to change the variable and thereby switch power mode on through software. But it's not that simple because the TCU recalculates the variable 25 times a second. Then I discovered the timer that determines how long power mode stay on once you ease off the pedal. I was thinking that if I keep resetting the timer over and over, and never let it timeout, then power mode will stay on permanently. The theory is good, but at present it's not working in practice. I need to study it some more and see where I'm going wrong.

Phil.
Hi Phil

Good work on the data breakdown so far.

Regards the Power mode, you know we have had long discussions about this, and the only one that we know to actually work as an override is a pulsed voltage to I think the TPS input.

Your breaking down of the software inside the TCU may well lead to better or less complicated permanent switching, which would be great!

If you think the OZ WSM for the gearbox might be useful, I'd be happy to post it to you, and collect at JAE.

As regards your point above with the timer, the complication could be the speed signal, as Power mode shift map is put in place by two variables, throttle position and road speed. The following is how the WSM describes the drop back to Normal:

The power pattern is shifted to the normal pattern depending on car speed. Shifting to the normal pattern is determined by the throttle position as shown in the figure on the right. Time lag in shifting [from power to normal] is also determined by car speed. The maximum time lag is 3 seconds.

The diagram is a simple Venn diagram. Judging by the relative areas shown it would be reasonable to presume that Power will drop off [on cutting back throttle opening] after 3 seconds at lower speeds, after 2 seconds at mid speeds, and after 1 second at high speeds. I expect low, mid and high speeds are preset at specified ranges within the firmware.

This in turn leads me to believe that you may have more success holding power mode in the software by "fooling" it into seeing an open throttle all the time in the TCU software, rather than changing the timed drop-off interval.

The ECU will still operate as normal on the real and actual TPS input signal. The shift map changover for the TCU needs to see WOT all the time to hold power mode all the time.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl