View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 08:54 PM

Registered SVX
Strange stall...

Okay, so in an attempt to correct my rough idle, I have been running diagnostics the last couple weeks.

Coils were tested, and they were fine.

Compression test was performed, all 6 cylinders within approx. 13% of each other. While doing test, I inspected all plugs, and they looked identical. Pretty normal, and what I would expect to see after only 3,000 miles on the engine.

Fuel pressure was tested, and fp at idle was 30 psi, raising to 35-36 psi when throttle was applied. I can tell you from smell alone, that the car is running RICH at idle...very rich. STORMINORMAN even commented on this at the maintenance meet, which was either before or after he scolded me for my (less than favorable) brake fluid level/condition.

Car seems to be lacking power down low, but has quite a bit of get up in the mid-upper rpm range.

The latest installment happened this morning. I was approaching a stop sign, and decelerating. I got the christmas tree lights, the ECU clicked a couple times, and the car sputtered. It accelerated off the line more or less normally, but almost immediately stalled and died. I rolled to the side of the street and quickly did a check list of symptoms.

- With key on, all lights displayed illuminated, with the exception of the CEL.
- Car cranked at normal speed, battery was obviously charged and strong.
- Car would not fire.
- When key turned to ON position, fuel pump could be heard priming.

I believe what happened was the car flooded the cylinders...I am not sure why. I returned to the car after a 10 hour work day, and the car fired right up like normal. I drove her home with no problems (only a few blocks).

Is it possible the fuel pressure regulator is on the fritz? Has anyone else had this happen? I believe I read that the fp at idle should be about 23 psi, and 36 at WOT. Can anyone confirm this? Also, where is the regulator located? It is vacuum controlled, if I am not mistaken. Maybe I have a vacuum leak on the line that controls it?

A few days ago, I was talking to LAN and he mentioned it sounded like I had a vacuum leak. He inquired about the O-ring for the IRIS. I do not remember any O-ring on the IRIS valve. When I installed it to the intake manifold, I siliconed around the stud holes and the periphery of the base plate for the IRIS.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted