View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 05:31 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmasini View Post
I have a black 94 with paint code 235 (black with red flecks). What should I tell the body shop to make sure that I get black paint with the red flecks?

I searched the threads and it seems that some people got green instead of red flecks. There also seems to be some confusion on mica vs. pearl.

Thanks,
Paul
Hey Paul,
Congratulations! Nice car indeed.

Paul, John and I did a lot of research into the available paints worldwide and we came to the conclusion that the standard Ebony paint for the SVX is code 235, which as you note has red mica in the substrate.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY has ever come forward with an SVX that has green flecks from the factory, and said the code on my car is ???.

That's because it does not exist. What probably happened is some shop was asked to mix paint based on a name rather than a code, and mixed a black paint with green mica.

It is one of those SVX enduring legends, like the Japanese twin turbo police model, or like the Power mode adding 80 hp. People quickly pick up on things they would like to believe without any hard evidence. There is no green fleck Ebony paint.

Your code is correct at 235. However your paint shop should ideally be equipped with a spectrum analyser, to ensure the paint mix exactly matches your Ebony. If you unscrew the gas door and give it to a properly equipped paint mixing shop, they should be able to ensure an exact mix. If they can't do this, look elsewhere. Your car is too valuable to mess around with.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl