View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Curt

Question Problems with Tranny Rebuild

Bought a '92 about two months ago and knew the tranny was slipping a bit at take off. When the wether got hot it started slipping a bit at highway speeds,
I took it to a tranny shop that said they knew Subaru trannies. Now the fun begins. Nearly two weeks passed while they waited for a part out of California. The day they say I can pick it up, the radiator cracked out. At the suggestion of other members, I negotiated a radiator price with a local Subaru dealership got one the dext day. The tranny shop put it in and I picked the car up. Not even out of the parking lot noticed the 'FWD' light is on. Went back in and they thought that that was the way it was supposed to work. I drove it home with the FWD light on and read in my owners manual that it is not to be on and the fuse is not to be inserted for normal driving.
I removed the fuse and immediately developed a "CLUNK" going around corners. Oh ya, and now the air conditioning compressor will not engage and the fuse is good.
Brought it back to the shop and they first suggested that the drive axles may be bad. then they called to say that the rear drive probably was not working before and now that the tranny is fixed, the rear differential problems show up. They think the rear differential should be gone through.
And Now my Questions........
Has anyone else experienced this "clunk" after a tranny rebuild that would confirm that what they say is true?
If it's true, does the rear differential need rebuilding, are there certain parts to replace, or is it an item to replace?
Is there some conection of the radiator and/or tranny that should cause the compressor to not work?
I've got about $4000 into it, anybody want to buy my frustration?
Thanks for your help!
Curt