Thread: The Gold Brick
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
The Gold Brick

I went and did something rather drastic on Wednesday. I bought a Volvo.

It's a 1996 850 Turbo with 150K on it, in good shape with just a handful of little "old car quirks". So far I'm really enjoying it. Everything that needs fixing is pretty cheap/easy stuff to do and parts seem more than plentiful. People have been asking me if I'm afraid of the repair costs; I ask if they've ever owned an SVX before.

As for the SVX, I suspect it has to go. I've had it street parked with a cover since bringing home the brick, and I don't want it sitting there long. My life just can't accommodate a project car right now. I need to get it cleaned up first, but look for a "For Sale" thread in the near future. That baby has a lot of miles on it, but it's still rust-free and has a few good mods that might make it worth more as a parts car. I know I can't part it myself, but it's a thought I've had. It'll also go on local Craigslist, I'd like it to live on in the hands of another passionate owner. Either way, I'm letting it go pretty cheap.

I also haven't found any Volvo forum that could hold a candle to this community. SVX owners are really fortunate to have this resource.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.