Thread: The plan
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX
Bonestock's 92 LS-L project.

Some of you may remember I have been thinking of modding my 80k mile SVX. Every time I decide to do it, I back out. I just cant seem to justify it anymore. I dunno if I have finally "grown up" (yikes!) or if I had a major shift in priorities. I really want a CTSv but again, I can justify the 70k price tag. Maybe in a few yrs given GM's notorious used car values!

Anyway, I have got to do some work to the SVX. The struts and strut mounts are toast. My muffler has a huge dent in it from a broken piece of asphalt and the cat is rattling.

Parts to order:
Struts- OE or Koni inserts. I have never used the inserts but I doubt the process is very difficult. OE struts & strut mounts installed 2/1/11. $1,024 (including new antenna).

Lowering springs- I have got to get the Subaru nose in the air look fixed. Cut 1 coil from each front spring 2/1/11. Free

Catalytic converter- If I can find the Magnaflow 2 into 1 p/n. Did not use

Muffler- Probably a Magnaflow 3rd gen F-body single in, dual out in the 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 range. Installed 2 1/4 true dual exhaust 1/27/11 $684

Exhaust- took the car back the following week and had 2 Magnaflow resonators added to quiet it down. Its still a bit loud but MUCH quieter than before. Completed 2/4/11 $112

Bushings- I'd like to pick up a full set of poly bushings if they are still being made.

Wheels- Either a set of STi BBS or Some other light wheel. I may even have a look at what deals are being offered on Rota's.

Antenna- Got to replace my broken motor. Installed new OEM 2/1/11

Interior dash trim- The idea is to remove all the fake wood crap and wrap it in 3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber vinyl. http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/ Installed the 3M film 1/7/11 $200 for a 96x48 roll. This is way oversize for just the interior trim

Trunk lift supports- Replaced 2/1/11 $62

Trans- 5MT or 6MT swap

Tuning- Hydra Nemesis or Ostrich emulator in the stock ECU.

CAI- GDYI mod 2/10/11 $95

Valve covers- replace all seals and refinished in wrinkle red. Completed 4/6/10

Stereo- 03 WRX HU, SVXdc Plug & Play wiring harness, Polk Audio db6501 6 1/2 component fronts & Polk Audio db691 6x9 rear. Completed 2/6/10

Its going to be a busy month. I have been putting this off for too long. I have been REALLY considering a 5MT swap. The cost seems really high though. We will see. Hopefully next yr I can get a CTSv and then start a EJ25 swap on the SVX!

Notice how bad the stock exhaust was bent out of shape before being replaced!

New exhaust!

Last edited by Bonestock; 02-13-2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Updated