View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Finished taking the termite damaged 50ish year old beast down today (or at least apart as it came down with a bang on Thursday). Since it is a non-conforming existing structure I'm rebuilding it on the same 10 3/4 x 19 1/2 footers but I'm putting a second story on it. so I can store spare engines, my tools, compressor and welder up there. Problem is as you can imagine I don't have much room for stairs (will be putting in a ladder). Trying to come up with a lift set up that I can easily and safely raise things up to the size of a motorcycle to the second floor. I'm looking at putting a nice strong steel rafter tie in and have a sliding electric harbor freight hoist put on it with a 4x8 hole in the floor. Any other ideas out there in cheap land?
Ben,
So, no stairs, but you want to put stuff on a second floor....why not go with the "old school" barn approach? Run a doubled up 2x12 or 2x16 as your ridge beam (having it extend out from the garage ~4 feet) and put an extremly heavy duty pulley on it. Then you'll just need an access door in the side of the second floor that you can open when you hoist stuff up.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker