Thread: Tranny Flush
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2002, 07:43 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I just changed the oil on my tranny last weekend. I learned a few things. First the history:

- Purchased car (92 LS-L) March 2001, dealership had the tranny replaced before they would even receive the car.
- I drove the car up to last weekend without needing to touch the tranny.
- I have put a total of 21,000km (13,000mi) on my car in that time.

The "filter/screen" inside the tranny SHOULD be replaced when changing tranny oil. My dad, who also happens to be my mechanic, attempted to clean the screen as best he could. The screen appeared to be clean. We still ended up installing a new screen/filter. After we were done we were curious and opened up the old filter. What we found was that there was still lots of metal filings in the screen despite being cleaned. Almost all of which could not be seen from either opening. I'm glad I put in the new filter.

Also
- don't forget to put the magnet back in BEFORE tightening the oil pan
- my magnet had a beautiful "flower" of filings on it which looked cool but I'm sure says something bad with my tranny.
- if you're changing the filter by the radiator then get the filter kit. The entire kit costs less than just the filter by itself.

p.s. Has anyone actually seen the screen/mesh inside the radiators in early SVX's?