Thread: Central locking
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2004, 03:26 AM
Phil & Belha

The central locking control unit is behind the glove box. You need to remove about 20 screws to get the glove box out and then look up underneath the dash and you will see two silver boxes which are almost inaccessible. The one nearest the door is the central locking (with the wires visible), the other is the cruise control (with the wires out of sight at the top).

I recently fitted a Cobra alarm to our LEGACY. IF the SVX is similar (and if your alarm works the same as the Cobra) then you will need an extra relay to make it work. It is not exactly like any of the three scenario's you mentioned (as far as I could tell from comparing the wires I found to the Cobra manual).

As I remember, there was one wire (white with a black stripe) to trigger it. If the wire was grounded the doors would unlock, otherwise they would lock. After grounding or breaking the wire, the signal that the control unit put on the wire changed because the lock button had moved to a different position. To lock it, you have to momentarily disconnect the wire from the control unit. To unlock it you have to momentarily ground it. (or it might be the other way around - I can't quite remember)

I'll have a look and see if I can find the notes I made at the time. Bear in mind though that this is on a Legacy not an SVX.

The US model SVX's have a factory fitted security system and are wired differently to the rest of the world. You need to find somebody here with a non-US service manual.

Phil.