View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 06:59 AM
There is no charge for Awesome

Send a message via AIM to Chuckles
Registered SVX
Re: Engine Cool, Radiator overheating?!

since i already have this post about a similar issue, I'll just use it rather then creating a whole new one for this:

Does anyone know an adhesive (Bonding agent) that goes well on the Radiator. I was thinking JB-Weld, but hey, why not just ask you folks before I screw it up royally right?! Mine is obviously plastic, and I have a very fine dry rot kind of line running across the seem of the top of my Radiator. Basically where the box like area that contains the fill tube and cap, rises up from the long run of the top of the radiator. (six inch by two inch rectangular hump on the top of the rad). Anyway, the split is pretty small, but it pees a little.

Before I go buying a second Rad and breaking it, I'd like to see if the Radiator itself is just old and weak. The pressure seems fine since I got the air out, and the Radiator is definitely the original 17 year old Rad, and the crack was definitely a weak spot in the radiator which might have helped let air inside, and coolant out.

Any way, any good adhesives you fine folks are aware of? i tried all purose apoxy, but it ends up being brittle and pealing away from the plastic radiator after about 40 minutes of driving. (that's a lot of trips around the block though... and the pressure and temp were otherwise great)

92' Subaru SVX LS-L Claret http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3214312 for the pics and stuff