View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 12:31 AM

Re: battery losing charge when off

I have been fighting an electrical gremlin like this myself.

I replaced the battery with a new 800 cold cranking amp NAPA battery last month. I replaced the relay behind the gauge panel last summer, which helped a great deal, since then, as well.

The car has been starting much better with the new battery, but slowly the dead-battery syndrome has been returning.

It has been below 30 degrees for a couple weeks straight, and sometimes much colder, so that could be something.

The car sometimes takes 1-3 seconds to engage the starter when the key is turned to start. Other times it fires right up. Only a couple of occaisions with the new battery have not started at all, and the battery charger has shown a low battery charge condition.

I am beginning to really suspect the alternator, and the baked, undersized wires to the alternator.

I want to do svxcess's alternator wiring mod, and if the alternator does test as bad, I'd like to get the upgraded alternator, as well...

I have not done a lot of soldering or wiring in a car other than maybe some speaker wires... I kind of wish there were an assembled install kit for svxcess's upgrade.

But if all else fails, perhaps I will just have to bite the bullet and track down all the pieces and put them together. I kind of need the car to get to work, as my wife is driving the Legacy this winter, but work is also the reason I don't have a lot of free time to chase little parts to assemble that wiring modification.

I think first step is going to be testing the alternator output to see what the story is there, first...

but I would appreciate feedback from experience if there is anything I am overlooking on this, or what to expect.

Speaking of which, it is time to go disconnect the battery charger again...

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 01-27-2011 at 12:35 AM.