View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 11:55 AM

Forced Induction Dilema

Supercharge or Turbocharge?

Supercharging obviously requires less piping, though it requries a bit more fabrication.

Turbocharging is more efficient.

Which option is the right option when the output goals are relatively mild?

I'd like to make 350whp and 400+lb-ft at the wheels with daily driving (25,000 miles annually) and low-end torque being the two major concerns. Reliability is EVERYTHING.

I'm leaning towards a whipple-charged setup, but I'm on the fence. Supercharging leaves little room for intercooling so that limits the amount of boost and thus power output. I could meth inject, but that's an additional cost (as well as a nusance down the road having to fit a tank and remember to fill it).

I'd think a whipple charged setup, 9.5:1 compression (forged pistons, forged rods, stock head), ARP head studs, and 12psi or so would do quite nicely.

With reliability, noise, and smoothness being extremely key, I'd like some help evaluating my options.

Transmission worries are easily cured. PPG 1-4 helical syncro set, PPG helical front and center diffs, with billet shift forks would handle that quite well.

I don't want a drag-racing queen, and I don't really care about embarassing Supra's on the highway. I just want enough power to keep it interesting, and I want to be able to pull like the dickens at low-ish RPM. Plus, I want the amount of weight in the car to not effect driving as much as it does now. I do occasionally like to get-down from a stop, but not that often. I just want a fun car, and truthfully the power goals listed above might even be overkill. I'd probably be happy with 300whp and 300ft-lbs.

What do you all think?

I also would like to avoid having to have a hood scoop or cutting for a front mount.

How much can I expect out of a blown H6 with forged pistons?

Thanks!