View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 02:25 AM

I took a Knock sensor from the engine I am replacing the head gasket on and tested it. You can't see the signal with a multi meter so I used a scope and up it came. It was as clear as day and spiking between 0 & 4v depending on vibration I suspect that if you banged it hard enough you would get 5v's.
After having watched the scope I would say your engines are pulling timing for sure. It reacts to vibration of any sort (even a tap with small screw driver) on this basis there is a better then even chance that the timing the SC engines is totally off due to it being pulled.
It would be possiable to run a test to see what is happening and how much they are effected by the SC and the "bigger bang" due to more fuel & power. What you need to do is bolt a knock sensor to any part on the engine as close to the centre as possiable then read it with the engine running, not sure but you might get a voltage on a multi metter. Do this with a standard SVX & a SC I will bet nickle to a dim that there is a major difference in the readings.
Last point before I drive every one nuts is that the signal is to dirty to be able to read it for 1 particular cyclinder.
Good luck.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.