Thread: 50 vs 45
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:42 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Trevor, a larger tire acts much like a smaller gear on a bycicle. It gets harder to turn the smaller the rear gear gets. So, the wheel will get harder to turn as the wheel diameter gets larger... While the difference of an inch is not very significant in diameter, it is still an adverse effect on an already finicky slush box. It is advised not to make it go any quicker

Tom
Tom,

It is good to be involved in a subject with one of your intelligence. I agree with the basis of what you suggest and which aligns with my point regarding “wear factor”.

When it comes to the understanding of that involved, the geared bicycle is a very good model. Cycle racing was once my sport and I know all the affects involved first hand.

The applicable post and question was :- It's only 0.11" taller than stock.
A 225-50-17 would be 1 full inch taller and HARDER on your transmission!

We therefore are called upon to interpret “harder” as I tried to do. I applied the words towards including in the main torque stress, rather than just wear, as you have done. With caution I stated,”It can not be truly conceived that larger diameter tyres (within reason that is), will be "harder" on the transmission. In point of fact on a long run, the wear factor will be reduced as a result of a taller effective overall ratio.”

Does a cyclist work harder pushing a high gear or a low gear in delivering the power necessary to travel a set distance at an equal time? I used muscle and torque, others revs and stamina. I tended to bend cranks, others wear out chains. Which was “harder” on the transmission? I never did work out which was best for the man.

I made the point that “The only aspect for consideration is a possible change in the ratios selected for a particular duty or circumstance” and tried to cover all points of view. What is important is that we have both indicated that any event issue is minor and the driver/rider is the deciding factor, with his foot/feet on the peddles.

Others may be bored, but a good discussion. I hope no one is silly enough to imagine controversy.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!