View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Winter mod: Magnaflow Exhaust

Special thanks to Tom (Svxfiles) who worked with me on installing a magnaflow camaro muffler (pt #12266) and some 3" tips this past weekend. I now have a new appreciation for Tom's pipe bending skills!

The switch to the magnaflow exhaust shaved ~15-20lbs over the stock system.

Tom and I decided to use 2.5" OD pipe back to the 2.5" inlet in the muffler. We then used 2.25" OD piping to each of the 3" stainless tips. The pipe connections are being held together by exhaust clamps at this point, as we want to be sure that there are no rattles before welding everything together in 2 weeks.

We retained the stock muffler heat shield and used the rear rubber factory exhaust hangers to hold the new exhaust tightly in place.

The sound of my new exhaust is addictive, and I started her up 5 different times today in the driveway just to hear the sound at idle. Redlined her once (in 2nd gear) during an afternoon drive, and the sound above 2700rpms is very Porsche-esque... Below 2700rpms, sound is closer to a 350Z/G35 coupe with an aftermarket exhaust.

The butt dyno definitely feels some extra torque down, which makes sense due to the low-restriction magnaflow muffler...

-Chike

P.S. Even though Tom used a standard pipe bender, all of the bends came out quite nicely with clean lines, and no restrictive 'crimps'...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)