View Single Post
Old 08-11-2003, 04:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Paisan,

Thanks for the heads up. I have the Dunlop SP-5000 AS tires on the '97. They have about 5000 miles on them now. I did not think that they were really great in the snow that we had last winter. I would rate them only fair. However, they are still way better than the Yoko AVS dBs in the snow.

I have noticed something in the tire survey letters from tire rack, in the posts here, and in talking to other SVXers about personal experience with certain brands & models of tires. The responses and comments on the tire under the same conditions vary widely.
This all can't be explained away due to different cars and driving styles. As an example ; you loved the Dunlop SP-5000 in the snow. You even used them in competition on snow. I found them only fair in snow on public roads. True you have a different size tire than I do, but the diffence in opinion should not be that vast. Back in 1967-1969, I ice raced my SAAB on a set of fully studded Michelin X tires. These were so much better. Even the Pirelli Centurato street tires (CN-36) on that car were alot better than these Dunlops in snow.

I think that tires in the category of 'all-seaon ultra high performance tires, vary way too much in their performance for the same tire model & size. I'm begining to suspect manufacturing variances. I think this, because I beleve that production runs are quite small compared to the run of the mill all-season tire. I hope I'm wrong. If I'm right, it becomes a crap shoot when buying these kinds of tires.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!

Last edited by LarryIII; 08-11-2003 at 04:38 AM.