View Single Post
Old 08-05-2003, 05:03 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: tranny oil cooler

I'm interested in adding an external tranny oil cooler/perma cool remote oil filter to my 92. It have 153,000 miles now. I talked to Liberty Subaru today and they advice me not to do it. They told me I should not try to fix something that is not broke. That is true, but I'm not trying to fix anything, I'm justtrying to make it better, taking into consideration that high temp is no. 1 enemy to transmissions. Have anybody done this with this type of mileage without problems? Advice is appreciate.
I think its a good idea to install one. I was initially fearful of installing a cooler because of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, but after installing a cooler, an ATF filter, and an ATF temp gauge, I'm very glad I did it. The ATF runs hot in these cars, especially in the summer. Driving around town in stop-and-go traffic can raise the ATF temp coming into the tranny to over 190F with an auxillary cooler. I imagine it would be significantly higher without one installed. My suggestion would be to install a filter and then a cooler in series with the built-in ATF cooler. The order I recommend from the tranny outlet is ATF filter, auxillary cooler, radiator (stock) cooler, then back into the tranny.

2.18" rims size?
18"X7.5 or 8 and what size of tires should I use that will not rub.
Tire size is really secondary here. What's more important is the rim offset. From all the posts on the network, it seems that its possible to use an offset as low as 38 mm with a 7.5" rim and 225 series tires. However, the car will handle better with an offset closer to stock. The highest offset I've seen on a reasonably priced wheel is 48 mm. If you want to run a 18x8" rim, you'll probably need an offset in the range of 45-50 mm to avoid any rubbing.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.