View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthkin View Post
Wouldn't any debris just sit on the bottom-inside of the timing belt cover?
Until you hit a bump, then it gets knocked up into the belt and gears whirring by at several thousand RPMs. If any little metal bits are rattling around in there, it could cause $$$$ worth of damage.

If it were my car, I'd pull the covers to make sure the timing belt chamber is clean and look over the entire belt.

It's not that hard. With the A/C belt and tensioner off, you're already 1/3 of the way there.

Until recently, I hadn't done much more than change my oil myself, but a couple of weeks ago replaced the water pump (which required removing and reinstalling the timing belt).

See this post (#9) for helpful links. BTW, the "Unorthodox Racing Pulley Installation" guide includes a picture of a new front timing belt cover.

You'll just need a helper to lock the flywheel while you remove the crankshaft pulley, then a big torque wrench to bolt it back on. Find a friend who's done similar car work and offer some beer and/or pizza.