View Single Post
Old 11-17-2002, 05:58 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Oh, yeah, lets just go into a beautiful area in Alaska and disturb one of the truly preserved areas in our country, disrupting the habitats of endangered wildlife simply to further our industrial dependency on polluting fossil fuels. That money should be spent on cleaner ways to efficiently produce energy, rather than destroying the habitats of helpless animals for the 'advancement' of our 'industrial culture.'

With the advancements in science and engineering, we have the ability to come up with less harmful ways to do exactly the same things that fossil fuels do.

I also believe the president's move to develop oil facilities in the nature preserve of Alaska was one of the more disgraceful decisions made during the presidency.

Call me an ultra-liberal "environmentalist" if you like, but I for one am proud to not support the destruction of our home. We only have one Earth as far as I'm aware of.

Mike
Have you ever been to the areas in Alaska that you speak of? First, there is little wildlife at the proposed drilling location in the first place. Second, drilling wells cause very little impact on local inhabitants. The largest problem would be from the drilling hands throwing food out to the animals. Third, this drilling is going to be done somewhere. You can say "we have the ability to come up with less harmful ways to do exactly the same things that fossil fuels do" but I have yet to see it, and we certainly will never achieve that goal with the attitudes of the common American. I want to see you driving a Honda Insight (if not a GM EV1), Mike, not a Subaru SVX. We need fossil fuels, and we will be using fossil fuels for a long time.
Our dilemma is not about whether or not to use fossil fuels, it is about whether we should increase our dependency on foreign countries which are also becoming increasingly hostile towards us. The more oil we buy from the middle east, the more vulnerable we become. If a major OPEC exporter decides to leverage their power against us and stop oil production, we would have no choice but to submit to their wishes. We don't have a workable alternative to importing foreign oil. We've got our own emergency oil reserves, but they won't support our country for long.