Thread: EGR system
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 11:59 AM
SVX Appeal

I had also been getting intermittent codes for the EGR system and the engine temperature sensor. The check engine light usually flickered a few times while the engine was warming up, but then went away. I replaced the temperature sensor because it was inexpensive, easy to do, and seemed to be the most likely cause of both codes.

It didn't fix anything. I figure that a bad temperature sensor could also trigger an EGR code, but not the other way around. It seems to me that my problem might have been a bad connection somewhere, but I've been to lazy to look into it further.

--- time passes ---

Anecdotally, I dumped a gallon of toluene into my fuel tank and the CE light went away within a week. Unfortunately, I'm really not sure if this is related because the weather warmed up about ten degrees about the same time. Neither of these things may have anything to do with the CE light, but it hasn't even flickered once in a couple of months.

It's too bad none of these events can provide any conclusive evidence of a cause, but I suspect they're all significant in some way. I'm curious to see if my CE light starts acting up again next winter. If it doesn't recur, I can assume the toluene worked some kind of magic or the problem just decided to cure itself for no reason. I'm leaning towards the random self-healing explanation, but after several months of persistent CE light flickering, it's strange that it would happen the same week as the toluene experiment.