View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 PM

Had a car stolen from in front of the shop last night

Relax, it wasn't my SVX.

We had this old rusty Camaro sitting out in front of the shop that belongs to my boss, doesn't look like much, but it is solid underneath and it is a numbers matching 1970-1/2 RS split bumper, which is pretty desirable. Last night, it was stolen.

About 9:30PM last night, my boss gets a call from a friend that lives up the road from the shop, asking if he sold the Camaro, which he hadn't. He told him that he was pretty sure he just saw it go by on a ramp truck. At first they thought it was just one that looked sorta similar, but they were both headed to the shop to make sure.

The friend gets to the shop first, calls my boss and says the Camaro is gone and he is turning around to try to find where the ramp truck is going. My boss is still 10 minutes from the shop, he calls the police, answers a bunch of questions, the friend calls while he is talking to the cops, but they won't let him put them on hold so he misses the call. The friend calls again, my boss hung up on the cops and answered it.

The friend said he had the ramp truck blocked in at a convenience store about 5 miles from the shop. My boss calls the cops back, tells them where the car is and heads for the store as fast as he can. He gets there first, argues with the truck driver, trying to find out who told him to take the car, the guy said he only had a nickname and a vague description, big bald black guy that goes by "G", yeah that is helpful. My boss sees the towing sheet on the clipboard in the truck and demands he give it to him,the driver refuses. Finally, the girlfriend of the driver who was in the truck gave my boss the carbon copy of the towing sheet, which the driver was not happy about.

There wasn't an exact street address, just directions to some place in downtown Charlotte, which is apparently a shop or warehouse of some form.

Cops finally show up, take down all of the information they can and ask my boss what he wants to do with the car, the driver is more than willing to take it back to the shop. My boss told him to have the car taken to his house instead, which he planned on doing anyway.

So, the car is safe and sound at my boss's house and he got a free tow out of the deal.