Thread: Trans flairs
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Trans flairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinz View Post
Recently tore out the stock trans due to high clutch going out.
Put in 4.44 of unknown mileage and condition (had warranty but is up by now). Used SVX TQ and LSD. Basically the swap took longer than I anticipated and I finished right before the warranty expired and didn't want to tear it out since it did drive ok.
Originally I thought it was brake band adjustment. However it will flare when it is mid gear. I tested this by putting gear selector in 1 and had the flare mid gear. When its slipping it still provides forward momentum, so its not like its in neutral. The slip is momentary from barely noticeable to a few seconds. Higher the revs the longer it takes.
When it grabs back up it kind of feels sudden like a shift. Seems to act better when cold. It slips more after its warmed up. Starting on a hill is bad and it will slip and catch a few times. Slips in 1st, 2nd and I think third. Haven't noticed it happen in 4th. If I drive with very little acceleration then you can't notice the issue.
Any idea what the problem might be? Until today I thought it was the band and started doing adjustments, but since I had it slip mid gear that shouldn't be it.
I don't know what you mean by "mid gear", but as it slips in 1st, it would be low line pressure. I would check the filter/strainer in the trans pan, for blockage.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.