View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I split my radiator a long time ago now. Just like yours with about 6" long split in the top. Just like you after a climb up a steep hill.

When I got the new radiator I left the cap off and checked the water flow. I noticed the small bubbles coming up out of the filler tube. The bubbles did not go away. I run the front of the SVX on ramps so the air comes out easier. Helps to vent the coolant system. So I knew it was not air venting out of the system.

Then I had the Co2 (or Co) checked on the coolant and that was the smoking gun. Long story short it was a small head gasket leak. I could drive the SVX but was told to stay off of steep hills. I replaced the engine.

Yeah the plastic gets old and brittle and sometimes additional checking pays off. I did want to blow a new radiator.

Today if I had HG leak I would try some of the K&W Block Seal (CRC) or similar products on the market ....... before replacing the HG or engine. If the leak isn't to big it may work and for less than $100 it's worth the time.

When I was researching this I found out that Chrysler uses this additive in the Chrysler coolant on new cars to seal holes when the holes are small.

Take care,

John