View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to andreoz
Registered SVX
Angry Re: Sensor lights on dash come on when off idle

The SAGA continues!!! I hope someone can assist from their experience before I start ripping out more things!

The lower output Alternator seemed to work OK - no Christmas lights, but then I noticed that my dash lights are blinking and when I travelled at night with headlights on, my headlights were fading cyclically with the car revs. I took it back and they replaced the "faulty" alternator with another one of the same rating ( I think it was 80Amp). Well, would you believe same thing happenned pretty much straight away - I had a couple of long country night trips and I felt like I had strobe headlights!!!

As an original replacement alternator was not available in OZ and I saw a post about Maniac Motors, I ordered an SVX, 95Amp rated alternator directly from them - excellent service I must say! Even with transport to Sydney, it was cheaper than the local, lower rating alternator. Made me very happy and I couldn't wait to get it replaced.

Had it put in couple of days ago, drove out of the workshop and 5 mins later parked the car in my office. After finishing work in the evening, a few minutes into the trip with the lights on, all of a sudden my dash board alarm "Christmas Lights" came on, then off, few blinked several times, came full on again and then went off. Stayed off till I got home and I thought to myself - OK - alternator settling in!

Well, the next morning the "Christmas Lights" are back on all the time now!!!

It was mentioned previously that it may be the voltage regulator. Is it possible that something else in the car keeps on blowing the regulators and on different rating alternators, the symptoms are different. Lower rating gives strobing lights and high rating brings on the "Christmas Lights"??

I thought I would take advantage of the hefty freight charge from the US so I also ordered a spare regulator and rectifier, so I could replace them in my old Alternator - is that the problem however!

Any advice from the expert panel will be greatly appreciated..