View Single Post
Old 05-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

First fight ever with one of my best friends.

Best Friends. They share your pains. They are there when you need them. They drive 4 hours to pick you up and bring you back home when you flip your car. They move dead bodies for you with no questions asked. They will go to the pits of hell with you to taunt the devil.

What could make one get into a fight with their best friend? I've never been in a fight with my best friend until now.

Story:

A friend of mine bought an old Impreza he saw in Autotrader. Apparently the suspension was shot when he bought it. The 2 rear struts were blown and when you drive over bumps in the road the car would rock like a boat. He askes me where he could get some new struts/shocks and I helped him find a nice KYB AGX's. I also recommended some Prodrive P1 springs but due to the lack of finances, he could not purchase those springs. I went to SoG the next morning to pick up a set of those springs. I know he's good for it.

The KYB's come in at 10am on Saturday and we start work on the car at 12pm. We get the job done late in the afternoon and then we mounted some stock WRX wheels and tires with decent tread left on the Impreza L. We test drove the car after we finished the setup and took turns driving it. My friend drove first and only went about a mile gingerly. Another friend of ours test drove it like he drives his WRX. I drove like my bud who owns a WRX for about a mile. Good job, feels like a decent ride.

After the test drive we cleaned up the mess, packed up all my tools into my truck and head to my house to unload tools. We left my other car at the WRX'er's house and needed to pick it up. After we were done unloading, I asked my friend to let me drive his Impreza to pickup my other car. I drove the crap out of it. Very fun. We picked up my Camry and his car blew my Camry off the road. Very torquey Impreza.

We get to my house and I asked him if I could drive his Impreza to his house while he drove my truck. He had a bunch of stuff he needed to unload at his house (tires, old suspension, old hubcaps ). He agreed and I proceeded to drive his Impreza hard...VERY HARD.

Let me just say that car handles very well with that new suspension. We had the settings to 2 in the front and 4 in the rear and I was eating up the road. It felt just as good driving my SVX, except it was much more nimbler. I was weaving in and out of traffic and cornering at good speeds. Very, very fun.

When I finally got to his house, I got out and told him his car was very fun. He stated that he wouldn't know he's only driven it like for 3-4 miles . We chatted for a little bit and then his woman called. She was wondering if the install was done and if he was going to come over . Here's the transcript of what was said next:

Me: Alright man, see ya. <Starts getting in the car>
Buddy: Hey wait, where are you going with my car? Give me the keys.
Me: You can drive the truck . This is too much car for you. Go get a honda to replace the Civic you totalled.
Buddy: Dude, you've been driving it for the past hour, come on now.
Me: No.
Buddy: Stop playing.
Me: See ya. <Starts the car, puts it in reverses, and drives off>
Buddy: <Yelling in the back> I'm going to kick your arse!!

I turned the car around after half a mile and took it back .

I have to admit that I love that Impreza now. I'm going to have to get some cash and buy one. I love that car just as much as my SVX. It's a great ride that 2.2L with the KYB AGX's and the P1 springs. I recommend that all the Impreza owners on the board should try out that combo....I love it to death. Wonder how it would ride with 4 in the front and 8 in the rear......

<thinks of a way to get the keys from my buddy again.>