View Single Post
Old 06-14-2002, 05:19 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Fuel Pump - Symptoms?

Hi all,

What are the symptoms of a failing fuel pump?

For the past several months, the SVX has been misbehaving, with the occasional stalling at idle, as well as what I would describe as the engine "skipping a beat", where when cruising the rev would all of a sudden drop a few hundred revs, followed by a feeling of "slam" where the engine re-engages.

Over the past several days, it's gotten progressively worse, with a frequent erratic idle, frequent stalling, frequent slight hesitation when accelerating (a go-pause-go-pause-go feeling), and the occasional severe hesitation (pedal down half way, car won't go). The car is starting to feel like my friend's Colt, when the distributor went south on him, except there's no distributor in the SVX. When the severe hesitation happens, it almost feels like I've run out of gas, but eventually the car does pick up and go.

There's no tranny slippage of any sort (revs would not rise without a matching speed), I've recently cleaned the throttle body, the TPS, the MAF, and new spark plugs (NGK Iridiums) were installed today. Fuel filter was replaced after the initial symptoms appeared, but did not help in the situation.

I'm scratching my head over this. Any ideas?

Thx.

VK