View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Remote Mount Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Alliance View Post
well said steel25t and icing death.

@icingdeath and @steel25t your build will definitely be much more reliable than mine as far as making BIG power. I like the way you went with your project which focused on building the engine first.

My project on the other hand is aimed at turboing the engine first (due to budget, I knew I could turbo it cheaper than internals). I do plan on getting the whole works, cams, pistons, rods, etc. but for now it is unrealistic as far as my budget goes. But for now I feel I will be fine on stock internals with like I said 8psi, but if need be I can go less boost. Also as far as I know the limits of a stock EG33 haven't been tested. maybe I will have great luck running maybe up to 10psi on factory internals, I don't know. My only real concern at this point is not rods pistons bearings etc., It's actually cylinder pressures. I wish there were some sort of equation I could use to somehow calculate this into something I can easily relate too, for example 10:1 compression ratio add 3PSi boost equals 10.4:1 CR 6 psi of boost equals 10.8:1 CR and my setup at 8psi equals 11.3:1 CR. those numbers are just an example, but that is where I feel the weak point is for my build, not rods or pistons, but cylinder pressures that enjoy popping head gaskets every 3 days. (hopefully not)

Also just an example I was digging around on the nasioc forums and found a post talking about the 1991-94 EJ22T being able to take 26psi on factory internals, and according to the post the guy has scattered a few of those engines and came to the conclusion through his own experience that 26psi is the highest safe amount of boost, he said 27psi is where eventually rods would fail taking some time to bend and break.

that is just a reference and as I said earlier to my knowledge no one has tested the limits of a stock EG33. Not that I plan on doing it with my daily driver, but who knows, maybe after all this I can say there are no issues running a stock EG @8psi. worst case scenario i scatter this engine, I do have a spare but that would take away from another project of swapping EG33 into the Baja. shhh! thats another thread.
Ummm, do some reading. The limits of the EG33 have clearly been tested. Why don't you take a look at how many engines YT blew up.
EJ22t, is a completely different animal. Completely forged internals, closed deck, and low compression. The EG33 is open deck, high compression and the pistons are not forged, which is why ring lands are the first thing to fail.

Also, Phil's old car has been running 9psi on 93 oct and 15psi on e85 for a few years now. There is a lot more info around than you have found. (have you even searched?)

Last edited by 1986nate; 02-22-2012 at 06:33 PM.