View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM

Re: Remote Mount Turbo

well said steel25t and icing death.

@icingdeath and @steel25t your build will definitely be much more reliable than mine as far as making BIG power. I like the way you went with your project which focused on building the engine first.

My project on the other hand is aimed at turboing the engine first (due to budget, I knew I could turbo it cheaper than internals). I do plan on getting the whole works, cams, pistons, rods, etc. but for now it is unrealistic as far as my budget goes. But for now I feel I will be fine on stock internals with like I said 8psi, but if need be I can go less boost. Also as far as I know the limits of a stock EG33 haven't been tested. maybe I will have great luck running maybe up to 10psi on factory internals, I don't know. My only real concern at this point is not rods pistons bearings etc., It's actually cylinder pressures. I wish there were some sort of equation I could use to somehow calculate this into something I can easily relate too, for example 10:1 compression ratio add 3PSi boost equals 10.4:1 CR 6 psi of boost equals 10.8:1 CR and my setup at 8psi equals 11.3:1 CR. those numbers are just an example, but that is where I feel the weak point is for my build, not rods or pistons, but cylinder pressures that enjoy popping head gaskets every 3 days. (hopefully not)

Also just an example I was digging around on the nasioc forums and found a post talking about the 1991-94 EJ22T being able to take 26psi on factory internals, and according to the post the guy has scattered a few of those engines and came to the conclusion through his own experience that 26psi is the highest safe amount of boost, he said 27psi is where eventually rods would fail taking some time to bend and break.

that is just a reference and as I said earlier to my knowledge no one has tested the limits of a stock EG33. Not that I plan on doing it with my daily driver, but who knows, maybe after all this I can say there are no issues running a stock EG @8psi. worst case scenario i scatter this engine, I do have a spare but that would take away from another project of swapping EG33 into the Baja. shhh! thats another thread.

Also as far as the MAF goes I do know how they work but haven't ever thought of running it upstream of the turbo, just didn't want so much air moving over it that it can't take accurate readings. I guess it would be the same amount of air regardless because if your making boost then your drawing a higher flow of air through the MAF anyways. I think that will be the simpler way to go, relocate my MAF from the stock air box to just behind the throttle body.

Also as for the BOV, to be completely honestI will only hit that thing purposely probably the first time everything is done to verify it works, and I don't think in my normal driving I will ever hit it, and if for reason I did, It would literally be some sort of emergency situation like accelerating onto the free way just to make the corner and see traffic stopped. Other than that, I roll onto the throttle and roll off of it as the situation allows, i never get on it and then jump off the throttle, situation dictates of course, but it's not in my driving habits to do so.

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 02-22-2012 at 06:24 PM.