View Single Post
Old 03-15-2001, 11:10 AM
I look like Gordon

R&T Guide update

I'm going to paraphrase part of my recent email to svxxx26 regarding this issue. I did talk to the lawyer (his name is Elvis, by the way), and he describes this as a "Napsteresque" issue, "fair use" vs. copyright infringement. Copyright law has not really caught up with the internet just yet, and there is a lot of grey area out there... if I want to make a few copies of something and distribute them to my friends, that normally qualifies as fair use as long as I am not making money out of the deal. However, making the entire document available for public download would probably qualify as copyright infringement. Now, would anyone actually come after us? Probably not. Still, I would feel most comfortable with a "private" distribution method, but if someone wants to put it up on the web, that is up to them.

It looks like I will probably be able to get started on this thing sometime early next week. Apparently the cover of this copy is not in perfect shape. I may need a volunteer to send me a good quality scan of the cover, but I'll let you know if the need arises.

-Mike