View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003, 06:37 AM
fredrobbins

SVX's had Bridgestone RE95 tires as OEM's. Mine were good for about 28K miles --- or so I thought --- but were excellent in performance. I could have gotten 35K, but I was still enamored with performance and wet-weather security, so pulled 'em off a little early. The second set were Bridgestone Potenza S-02's which were the top of the line back then. You could drive through standing water at high speed and see 2 dry strips in your mirrors.
They had a tread wear rating of 140 (low mileage) which is typical of Ultra Performance tires. I replaced them at 57K with cheaper Bridgestone's - RE730's. The tread wear has been very good. I have about 42K miles on them. But wet-weather performance has left a lot to be desired.

I know Firestone and Bridgestone are both owned by the same Japanese corporation, and I also know that Firestone has been spending a lot on the high performance product line over the last 10 years. The lawsuits involving SUV rollovers made them pay much more attention to Quality --- not that didn't before. But they sponsored the IMSA Firestone Firehawk Racing series and made spec tires for all the race cars, and followed that up with more production tires in the High Perf. area. I feel pretty confident in this purchase, but "eating the pudding" will tell the tale.