View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Clunking -> Rattling -> Squeaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
I had an annoying clunk from the front end over bumps, mainly at lower speeds (parking lot type thing). I had thought it was my caliper slides being worn because riding the brakes seemed to help. However, after installing my coilovers the noise was gone completely. It was probably an internal part of the front strut's valving that was sticking. In any case, my car now rides like a luxo-sports car. Stiff and quiet.
Did you replace the strut at the same time? Did you ever try to test the strut by having someone sit in the car while you rocked the front corners of the car up and down?

It really sounds like the steering rack to me. I have been wondering if it is related to this TSB:

http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/suba...-09-01_tsb.pdf

On a non-related note, does anyone have a good test to see if your tires are rubbing the wheel wells? Would the sound be a nasty grinding noise or a simple squonk noise? I get a squonk that sound like rubber rubbing on metal but I think it is actually the over-seized jack I have in the trunk which is surrounded by styrofoam and just sitting between the spare tire and the wall of the recess. I would think a tire rubbing on the wheel well would make a much worse noise but I wanted to test it out for sure. I was thinking some driveway chalk on the tire and see if it get rubbed off.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything