Old 04-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Salt damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineman1963
Well folks, have been to see the silver beast. Genuine guy selling the car who had bought it for his brother to run who had come back to the UK from Hong Kong and had always fancied a SVX. Some brother eh ? The guy buys and sells BMW/Jags and keen to move the SVX on.

Car is a good one, straight, few minor dings etc here and there. Wheels need a refurb , tell me a SVX that hasn't has that problem here in the UK ? Mechanically seemed Ok, changed gear OK, revved smoothly, quiet on tickover. Car was imported in to the UK early in 2003 and the only documentation are the old MOT's so no idea what has been done to it or not. Easy enough to contact the two previous owners etc but for example no idea if the belts were done at 45k miles. I would want a full service inc the plugs and belts. Salt spray under the bonnet and over the mainfold which is not corrosion as such. Has had a new radiator as spotted and bolts missing. New battery Jan 06 and has a Cat2 alarm / immob fitted with cert.

Will be interesting to see what it makes. I may well make the guy an offer once had a chat with my fellow SVX partner but suspect he wants more than I think it's worth. David

PS the mats are well unique and not my taste I have to say !!!!
I must say the car looks "real" in the photos, i.e. original, not damaged or resprayed.

I have been monitoring [and buying!] cars from Japan for a long time now, and I have noticed something that is not obvious to the average buyer, who considers them all "imports". How rusty they are going to be depends which Japanese islands they spent their lives on. In other words, it depends if your car comes from the northern Japanese islands, which are mountainous, have lots of snow, and road salt must be at least as cheap there as it seems to be in the UK!

If the car comes rusty from Japan, it will be because some northern Japanese person bought it for its 4WD capability, and used it in the wintry salty conditions. By contrast, the JDM car I sold recently was perfect under the bonnet, and the floorpan and suspension. From South Japan.

My Black Betty is UK spec, used all year, 120K miles on her. The state of the brakes and other components under the bonnet is dire. I have started cleaning up and replacing things. If I ran an SVX in the UK, I would store it for the winter, and run something cheaper that I did not mind corroding.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl