View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 07:04 PM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX
Re: Phenolic Intake Manifold and TB spacers for the SVX/EG33 coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy View Post
Big thanks to Nate for the push and help.

On the way to me are a set of gaskets, from which I will program and cut on my CNC, sets of phenolic spacers.

I will make them for the manifold and the throttle body.

I need to figure out a few details:
Thickness

Length of replacement bolts to match increased thicknesses

Which exact grade of phenolic to use

Any comments, suggestions, discussion before I get too far down the rabbit hole?
When I looked into getting these made I did a bit of research, and altough I called GrimmSpeed the person I talked to didn't know the grade of the phenolic material. However they asked for my number and email so they could get back to me.

About 2 weeks later I got an email stating that they use Phenolic G10 GRE (Glass Reinforced epoxy). "G10 phenolic is mechanically stronger and provides the best in thermal transfer resistance translating into lower temps and more power."

I looked into it and this stuff can maintain a safe environment up to 500*F, can handle race fuels, E85 and methanol.

The two thicknesses Grimmspeed carries are 3mm = .118 inches & 8mm =.314 inches. Obviously thicker means better cooling and greater volume of air in the intake manifold.

Just like svxfiles mentioned below, the Outlaw Engineering ones were .333 inches = 8.4mm. Cooling should be about 20-40*F depending on ambient temps.

As to the "Length of replacement bolts to match increased thickness" question. The NEW bolts need to be 5mm longer than the stock ones.

Also, the cost for Outlaw Engineering spacers was $105 and that included the intake manifold & throttle body spacers, shipping, gaskets, hardware and stickers for 20+ AWHP . Obviously, it wasn't enough since the company flopped.

I think somewhere around $115-$130 shipped would be reasonable for the intake manifold and throttle body spacers!

You have a happy customer here (SVX oil cap) and can't wait to do business again (Spacers).
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker

Last edited by Svx95; 11-01-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Adressed replacement bolts