View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 06:27 PM

Re: e &m rigoli eg33 performance engine rebuild

idk man the stock rods are better than you give them credit for.

I put around 10K on the stock rods in my swapped impreza, including autocrosses, a few drag days and a day of lapping at a road course. Not to mention daily thrashing. When I tore down the motor to put the eagles in, there was no abnormal wear on the rods, both ends were still in spec for out of round, they were mint. These are stock 22T rods, which are metallurgically identical to SVX rods.

The crank is bulletproof. Nothing needs to be done to that.

Pistons are a major weak point in any subaru engine, there's no doubt about that.

I thought you were talking about putting in race bearings, OEM replacement bearings are like $150 bucks for the Michigan 77s, which are identical to the massively overpriced subaru pieces.

You don't need headers to make power, the stock headers with a little cleanup will flow whatever you need them to. I'm using stock manifolds with a ceramic coating for my 480hp Impreza build. You're telling me that stock 4-2-1 manifolds on the impreza are going to flow the same as 6-2 manifolds with a larger outlet on the svx? That design should be fine for 600 or so before you need to start messing around with tubular designs, which are far more prone to cracking.

As long as your tune is good, you're running a quality gasoline and you have appropriate failsafes on your meth system, there is no reason to go so crazy with the bottom end.

The eg33 really isn't much different than the ej22, and the ej22 is my sweetheart, I know that motor inside out, hell, there are 5 of them within 60 feet of me at this very moment

But basically my only point is that no one should ever be paying $13,000 for a built subaru motor, because you could build the entire powertrain for that. That's an insane price tag.