View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele
If you were an engineer, than you know that some tires have the small cross cuts in the tire when they are made so that they do have the better properties if traction and cooling.
But Earl, the critical factor here is that tires that come "siped" from the manufacturer were designed that way, not arbitrarily altered by a retailer who probably knows next to nothing -- technically speaking -- when it comes to tread design and tire construction.

A quick Google search brings this, from a page called "DIY Tire Siping:"

"I will described what I did to my tires. I think they work better after siping and I've had no problems with it. You should be aware that siping tires may void your tire warrantee, whether you do it or a shop does it. The Rubber Manufacturers Association, a trade group representing tire makers, neither endorses nor condemns the procedure. It says that it is critical that siping be done properly to avoid ruining a tire.

"Tire makers have stronger opinions: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. does not recommend that passenger tires be siped, because the tread depth and the tire body are not designed for siping. Siping could invalidate the warranty if Goodyear determines that a tire failure was caused by the procedure.

"Michelin Tire (who also market the popular BFG brand) does not recommend it, but acknowledge that it is common in the industry. Siping can alter or corrupt the design criteria that were established for that tire. It can cause excess noise, excess heat buildup, and it could ultimately cause damage to the tire. (e.d. This last statement is interesting as these are some of the benefits of siping large monolithic tread block)

"Also, you should check your state vehicle codes, some states (like VA) do not allow siping tires, at least they will not pass a vehicle inspection.

Certainly not the definitive word, but food for thought.

EDIT-- Here's a straightforward news article on siping (which I didn't get the option to name):

http://www.komotv.com/stories/40020.htm

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 03-08-2006 at 05:47 AM.