View Single Post
Old 02-27-2002, 06:24 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Way, Way, OT- Latest money scam

OK, most of you know I don't like to gossip about such things, but I was part of a govt. audit this week for one of my clients.

Don't worry, we passed. It was just a scheduled routine audit, not a spot audit

While chatting they mentioned the tax season scams that are poping up this year are better than past ones.

You receive a tax refund check in the mail that is around $3000. You think, Hmmm, this is more that I thought, but what the hey.

You cash it, wait nervously for a few days without spending it, then you get the letter.

Dear taxpayer, there was a mixup in the check distribution and we sent you the wrong check. We made a check in your name meant for someone else. We apologize for the mistake and are offering to let you keep 10% of the money in exchange for returning the rest. Please send a check for $2700 to the State Error Control Agency (or some other real sounding name), PO Box (in your state capital).

You mail the check, they cash it and in about 3 months when the state finally audits the processed checks and finds the forgery, you are now out $2700 for cashing a fraudulant check.

Watch Out!

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker