View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 03:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

They did hand out a layout, but it didn't perfectly match the course. I did prewalk the course, but didn't seem to help much.
Then you needed to do it again and pay attention the next time.

We never get printouts of the course - it's different every weekend. I suggest walking the course three to four times. Make sure you pay attention to it every time. Walk it until you can remember every gate, how many cones are in each slalom, whether the slalom opens or closes or has offset cones, which side you enter each slalom from (and whether it's set or optional entry - and if it is optional, which would be better for your car / driving)...did I miss anything? As you're walking it, stop and look behind you. Think how you're going to come into a turn and how you should come into it.

Don't walk the course with other people unless you know those people are going to walk it for the same reasons. Our group does a mandatory walkthrough, but that's not enough. At that point I've walked it three to four times by myself. Besides that, if you walk it with a big group of people, you're not paying attention to the course and you can't see the course.

I simply can't stress how important walking the course is. If you aren't sure that you've got it, walk it again. If you are sure you've got it, walk it again and pay closer attention.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE