View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 AM

Re: So I got bored with my 94 svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
How'd you return it to stock? I just bought an SVX with spray painted gold rims (gold on black body like yours) and I can't stand it. My girlfriend says it's embarrasing to ride in the car with the gold on (LA folks really are that superficial). People poke fun at them every time I show off the car. I've been humoring the idea of flat black paint over the gold so they aren't so BAM! gold, but I'd far prefer stock over either option. The only reason I haven't tried buffing out the gold is worrying about round buff marks on the rims that can't be undone. If you say I can remove the gold without damaging the rim, I'll be the happiest guy on the block.

If it's non-degrading, then paint your heart away, but I wish the previous owner had saved me the trouble and left them stock. My 2 cents, no refunds.

-Kit W.

PS
Photoshop tutorials available on request Changing rim color would be just about the easiest thing to do, and if you just want a quick look at your options then I would be happy to walk you though the process.
First of all, I know how to use photoshop.. but I'd rather spend my time outside with the cars then inside playing with pictures.
Secondly, the only time you get the round buff marks is when you use the wrong kind of buffer/waxer. You need an automotive one and not a stupid cheap one from Walmart or Menards/Home Depot/Lowes. I have a few from Wyotech that my buddy used going through school.

If you don't want to buy one there are a couple of options..
1. Just get that buff piece you put in your drill and be VERY light with it, or else you will definitely get the circle marks.
2. Just sand it off, it may take you a while and you may have a few scratches but it wouldn't be so bad.

Plus if you just sand it out by hand you could buy the $15 buffer/waxer from Walmart it actually comes with a microfiber cloth that is, "supposed" to remove paint although I'm not a 100% sure that would work.. but it has an applicator cloth you could apply scratch doctor to the rims and then buff with the removal cloth the scratch doctor stuff and it'd still look pretty good.

I guess some options off the top of my head, I'm sure there is more but you can go from there.