View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Saving an SVX, Literally, From Certain Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
May one ask how much the junkyard is selling it to you for?

I've made a couple of failed attempts to buy complete cars out of various yards, but I usually only see them after they've been processed and set out. Last time I asked, a particular yard wanted $100 PER CAR they'd have to move to get out the car I wanted, on top of the purchase price.
Since there was no engine, ecu, harness, etc and things were strewn about, basically scrap price plus a bit more. If it were running, etc, $800 or more. This is not a normal pick n pull but rather your typical, we pull the parts and charge you big bucks, but because my buddy knows the people who run it, they let us go in back to pull some random bits we might need or use and charge us pretty good prices.
The SVX itself has not been processed fully. It's been put in their inventory but hasn't been gone through to puncture the gas tank, drain all fluids, etc. So its in an area where most of the cars run since people willingly junk halfway decent running cars that just need a few parts but would be big $$ to take it to a repair shop.

Andrew and "lastsvx", I'll never catch up to Earl. I've had as many as he currently owns, but some of them have been/are parts cars or possible parts cars or have been sold. If I had the space and could actually afford all the insurance and registration costs, I'd definitely have a lot more and would probably put every single one I found back on the road.

XT6: Keep in mind, I have tons of parts. Getting it to work with the stock SVX ECU and engine is not a problem. I've currently got 2 spare engine harnesses pulled, and 2 complete engines pulled so the cost is minimal, even if I decided to do an engine reseal before dropping one in. WRX/STI drivetrain would be fun/neat, but unfortunately don't have the funds to drop on a drivetrain that for the same money, I could probably buy at least 5 SVXi instead, or other solid running cars.