View Single Post
Old 07-05-2002, 07:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
We just fixed this problem on Ray's SVX last week. The good news is, you may not have to buy a new ignition switch or starter. The bad news is, it's sort of a pain to fix.

First off, the ignition switch is held in place by two security bolts. What makes them "security" bolts is the fact that they have no bolt head for you to tighten or loosen them with. If your problem is like many of the others, one or both security bolts have loosened over time and for some reason, this causes the intermittent starts with the "click" being the only sign of life.

On my friend's SVX, the bolt on the driver side had fallen out completely, which was a good thing as the top of the bolt hole isn't open, which would've made it very difficult to remove. The passenger side bolt was about 1/2 way out, but since the top was open on this side, we were able to screw in a replacement bolt from the top and use it to turn the old bolt out. You would think that the ignition switch would feel very loose with one bolt missing and the other one half way out, but the way it is crammed in against the plastic steering column covers, it actually still feels tight. You won't know that it's loose until you remove the covers and have the room to wiggle the switch.

Since you can't tighten the old bolts, you can either buy new security bolts from SOA, or do what we did and replace them with regular allen head M10x1.25x20mm bolts from the hardware store. Don't go too long on the bolts as the driver side hole is not straight through, so if you get a bolt that's too long, you won't be able to tighten it all the way.

EDIT: Just had to do mine today since my SVX started to do that click, no start, click routine. No more embarassement at the gas pumps.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by squiggy
All I get is a click... a hard metallic click...no other noise
Sometimes I'll engage the flywheel but because I expected the attempt to fail I'll turn the key back and "lose" the chance to turn the car on and have to start all over again..

Last edited by kuoh; 04-11-2003 at 03:50 PM.