Thread: Rotors
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2002, 01:02 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Yeah, I won the auction but I tend to believe it really doesn't matter to anyone there. The guy asked "Did you win?" and I replied "Sure." That seemed to be good enough for him.

I would definitely call and have them NOT drilled, surface area does count. And for those that say they have a better pedal, stopping power, etc. all I can say is they must have had some really crappy brakes beforehand. While these stop well enough, they bolster my belief in swept area being the most important attribute.

BTW - don't install expensive pads with these rotors until after they've had a chance to polish the edges a bit. Some rotors are chamfered at the slots and some aren't - these aren't. I would have gone ahead and relieved them at the beginning but that would ruin the nice cad plating job (they do look cool after using them for a day or so.)

I checked the rotors with a dial indicator when installing and the most runout I found was .002 which is more attributable to mounting/flange runout than to the rotors. I didn't mount them on the balancer to check balance but they haven't done anything noticeable to the ride. I think I'd know, I'm kinda picky about that. I've balanced the shafts and hubs at each wheel (like we used to do with driveshafts years ago.) What a PITA that was. I did find out that the o-rings around the cv boots keeps the boots from wadding up at high speeds and causing a shaft vibration. Currently I'm trying to come up with some thermoplastic boots to replace the stock rubber ones - longer life and no vibe troubles...

As to whether or not they're Brembos - who knows? They send the rotors out to be machined, balanced and plated then send them out UPS to their customers. Mine came packed in one box with paper and cardboard separating them. If they're not Brembo they appear to be very similar and seem to be high quality.