View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Right bank won't fire

Mr Dan you need to remove the radiator and fan assy, crankshaft pulley, etc. to access your entire timing belt. For the power steering pump, I just removed the bolts and you can use the alternator to rest the right side of the pump high enough to access the center timing cover bolts. Its easy to do, you just remove whatevers in the way to access the cover bolts, such as the tensioner assy. You do NOT have to remove any accessory pulleys to access those bolts, thats doing it the hard way. I also removed my EVAP canister on the pass side to make it easier to get that side cover off, and turn the cam. Once you do it once, the next time is quick and easy, like 45 minutes or so to do the timing belt. You need a shop press, or a floor jack and something sturdy to re-compress your timing belt tensioner. There is no conceiveable way to adjust the timing on the cam gear with a tensioned belt still installed, and you need to also remove and check your cam gear as mentioned by Keith.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.