View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: For Sale: Radio Wiring Harnesses for SVX!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXalter View Post
... I don't know exactly how the stereo cover door works. Would it be possible to remove a spring or something that would allow it to drop down lower so it wouldn't interfere with the eclipse system's tray when it is open for disc use?
Not really. There's a stop you could remove to gain a tiny bit. Beyond that, the inside of the door hits the bottom of the cage, and the outside of the door will hit the cigarette lighter pod. You'd also have to remove the spring to keep the door from banging into either of those.

Here's a picture of the passenger side of the cage:

(click for larger image)
The stop is the black piece below the hinge pin.

The gear is always on the passenger side. So on RHDs it's on the left side.

Here's the opposite side on the UK RHD version (it would be the mirror image for LHD):

(click for larger image)
There are several more pictures of the cage in my SVX installation guide.

You'd be better off finding a HU that doesn't have that clearance problem (either has a tray that's higher up as I wrote earlier, or one where you plan to open/close the tray very infrequently). That Eclipse might actually fit, but you need to verify it before you're stuck with one.

You could also remove the cover door entirely, but that would leave an opening at the bottom that you'd need to dress up somehow.

Quote:
... if the stereo is after market and has already been hardwired will the harness still be good to have?
If they used vampire taps and the factory harness is still there, you can remove the taps and use my harness. If they snipped the factory harness, then you can either hard-wire the new HU's harness (which will shorten the factory wires a little more), or install my reverse harness to get it back to stock, and then use my forward harness to install the new HU.

Last edited by SVXdc; 10-25-2009 at 04:07 AM.