Thread: svx and snow
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 AM
dances with roads

Registered SVX
Re: svx and snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
So what you're saying is, when I swap in my STI 5-speed I'll lose my awesome snow traction?
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Yes.

You will still have great traction. It just won't be as "smart" as that offered by the automatic gearbox.
I have to disagree.

Experientially: my STi is ridiculously good in snow, limited only by wide tires and low ground clearance, both of which can be addressed, and prodiguous torque, which makes it ssoooooo hard to resist getting stupid.

Objectively: Smart as it may be, the SVX's automatic still just controls the front/rear split. The STi has LSDs on both axles, and a lot more sensors and CPU cycles go into managing its center diff compared to the SVX. Yes it's performance oriented, but part of that orientation is rally based -- traction on loose surfaces.

I'm not saying the SVX is bad in snow, not by any means. But neither is it better than an STi. Based on my short experience in the SVX I'd say much of the difference I felt was due to the difference in power and tire width. The SVX feels more manageable, the STi more tossable. They both feel like they'd climb a snow-covered wall.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss