View Single Post
Old 03-28-2003, 09:08 AM

Talking What a GREAT Board! antenna fix+

Did a search yesterday using "antenna" as the criteria and got 8 pages! Should have used "antenna & replacement"!

Anyway, the info found (including a 4 page "how-to") surely helped me avoid what I figured to be at least a $75 repair. Maybe twice that!

By the way, opening up the antenna mechanism and cleaning it out is not too difficult, since you have it out anyway to clean/replace the mast. The only tricky part is getting the bugger back together exactly the way it was, with the inner "actuation" ring pointing in the right direction! I found this easier that just jamming the plastic pigtail "2 inches or so" back into the mechanism. Retracted/extended completely on the 1st try.

With almost 11years of regular lubrication & parking outside I was amazed at the amount of gunk in both the mast assy & especially in the mechanism itself! A decade of lube + dirt can really gum up the works. A spray lube like WD-40 eventually disolved the black goo: that & a lot of toothpicks, paper towels soaked in the spray and about 40 Q-Tips. The drain tube was clear, so water was still draining out, but the cause of my failure was just plain accumulation over time.

Does anyone know what the original lube in the antenna mechanism is? It looks like regular clear petroleum jelly.

I wonder if drilling a little hole in the case and spraying in a white lithium grease every year or two would extend the life?

Anyhow, yet another great trip to the Board. Thanks to everyone!
' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K