Thread: Intake Idea
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsuby
I'm working with a map system so the dual piping is going to be easier for me. If you can pull it off the dual pipes is the way to go. Once we get my motor on the dyno I'm going to try two lengths about three feet each and go up from there. http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/availab...ssertation.pdf this is a good thesis on resonace tuning and it discusses the differences in tuning the intake between four and six cylinders. A main point of his is that for a four focus should be made on the ram effect of the runner while on a six with its seperate banks secondary helmholtz resonance plays a much bigger role. I think you are correct in trying to make the two pipe setup work since this would be increasing the "spring" or maybe at this point it could be considered a mass, I don't know. Some pros have told me that this is definetely the way to go and worth the effort. A phenolic spacer on the throttle body would also increase the volume of the plenums and help the air get around the corner to the front cylinders more efficiently.
VT,
Couple of things:
1. Might want to warn folks that have dial up accounts that the thesis is 6.2M in size...
2. The "spring" is also going to be a function of the exhaust cam timing
3. Looking forward to your dyno time...a couple of us have been working with the physics of the exhaust for a while and, to a limited extent, trying things out on our cars to see if theory proves out. Could you add a step in your work that addresses the length/dia of primary pipes and when they tie together to a single chamber (be it a Cat or a muffler - might want to address the potential "optimal" volume), as many of us don't want to run dual pipes all the way back.
Thanks!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 02-26-2006 at 10:27 AM.